Eating fatty foods to lose weight? I know, sounds counter intuitive, but there are big differences in the world of fats. Eating foods with the wrong kind of fat could make you pack on the pounds—trans fats in baked goods; low-quality saturated fats, like those in factory farmed meats; and ultra-processed corn and soybean oils. But the right fats can actually do the exact opposite: Keep you full, increase your fat-burning potential (even targeting stubborn belly fat!), improve heart health, and boost your mood. Get more of the good fat into your diet with these 5 delicious recipes.
Do you or does someone you care about need to lose weight? Bodynista offers a fantastic line of weight loss products from Total Life Changes to get you into the body you deserve and help you take your life back. Check out testimonials from people who have used Total Life Changes products. Shop for your new body by visiting our Total Life Changes Store Page.
Lighthearted Raw Grain-Free Fudgy Brownies Recipe
These ultra fudgy brownies from the cookbook Clean Eating: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body by Amie Valpone are loaded with a nice dose of protein and healthy monounsaturated fats, thanks to almond butter, which have been shown to help burn belly fat. Bonus: No cooking required!
1½ c almond butter
½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
½ c pure maple syrup
5 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
1½ tsp pure vanilla or almond extract
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne
2 Tbsp raw cacao nibs and flaky sea salt, for garnish
1. LINE 8" x 8" baking dish with parchment.
2. PLACE all ingredients except those for garnish in food processor and blend until mixture is well combined and forms dough.
3. SPOON mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with cacao nibs and sea salt. Cover with wax paper and freeze until set, about 2 hours.
4. CUT into 12 squares. Store in freezer until ready to serve, up to 4 days.
NUTRITION (per serving): 278 cal, 7 g pro, 18 g carb, 5 g fiber, 11 g sugars, 22.5 g fat, 6 g sat fat, 169 mg sodium
Pear-Berry Crisp Recipe
This seemingly decadent dessert from the cookbook Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great by popular blogger Danielle Walker contains healthy plant-based saturated fats from coconut oil, and monounsaturated fats (along with fiber and protein!) from a variety of nuts and seeds. It also subs out refined white sugar for a smaller amount of honey.
4 tsp butter or coconut oil
1 c blueberries
4 apples, peeled and cored and cut into thin wedges
4 pears, peeled and cored and cut into thin wedges
1 Tbsp lemon or orange juice
¼ c honey (or maple syrup for a vegan version)
1½ tsp coconut flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 cup Grain-free Granola (without raisins)
1. HEAT oven to 375°F.
2. GREASE individual ramekins or large baking dish with 1 tsp of the butter.
3. COMBINE blueberries, apples, pears, lemon juice, honey, coconut flour, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. COMBINE granola and remaining 3 tsp butter.
5. POUR fruit mixture into ramekins and bake until bubbling, 40 minutes.
6. REDUCE oven to 325°F. Spread granola mixture over top, then bake until browned, 15 minutes.
NUTRITION (per serving): 385 cal, 6 g pro, 64 g carb, 30 g sugar, 11 g fiber, 15 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 113 mg sodium
Soaked Trail Mix Recipe
What makes trail mix even better? Ditching the candy-coated milk chocolate for dark chocolate chunks, using dried fruit instead of added sweeteners, and including a variety of fat-rich nuts—all of which have their own unique nutritional profile—instead of just one. This recipe, also from Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great, is absolutely delish.
MAKES 3 lb (about 30 servings)
4 c raw almonds
4 c raw pecan halves
1 tsp coarse sea salt
2 c raw cashews
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 c raisins
½ c dried cherries or cranberries
½ c dark chocolate chunks
1. PLACE almonds and pecans in large bowl covered by 1" with filtered water. Add ½ tsp of the salt. Cover bowl and soak at room temperature 20 hours. Rinse and return to bowl.
2. ADD cashews and fill bowl with water again, covering nuts by 1". Cover and soak 4 hours more. Drain, rinse, and turn nuts onto paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Blot dry.
4. LINE dehydrator sheets or baking sheets with parchment and dehydrate nuts at 150°F, 20 hours.
5. REMOVE nuts and pour into large bowl. Add coconut oil and remaining ½ tsp salt, toss well, and return to dehydrator and continue drying 4 hours.
6. LET nuts cool completely on baking sheets before stirring in dried fruit and chocolate. Store in airtight container.
Tip! For oven drying, turn the oven to the lowest setting and spread the nuts on baking sheets lined with parchment. Dehydrate with the oven door open slightly with a wooden spoon for 8 to 10 hours, or until the nuts are crunchy. Remove from the oven, toss in coconut oil and remaining salt and then return to the oven to dry for 1 hour longer.
NUTRITION (per serving): 284 cal, 7 g pro, 16 g carb, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 24 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 55 mg sodium
Chorizo and Avocado Fat Bombs Recipe
Had your fill of avocado toast? Then try this spiced up take on an egg salad–stuffed avocado from the new cookbook Sweet & Savory Fat Bombs. Monounsaturated fat–rich avocados have been shown to help lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol and even promote weight loss, while eggs deliver satisfying protein, and chorizo adds a sharp saltiness that brings all these satisfying flavors together.
3.5 oz Spanish chorizo sausage, diced
2 lg hard-boiled eggs, cooled, peeled, and diced
¼ c unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tbsp mayonnaise (try an avocado-oil based mayo)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 lg avocados, halved and pitted
1. FRY chorizo in skillet until crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. MASH eggs, chorizo (reserving small amount for topping), and butter together with fork in bowl. Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, and chives. Season with salt and cayenne to taste. Combine with fork and refrigerate until set, 20 to 30 minutes.
3. TOP each avocado half with one-quarter of the egg and chorizo mixture just before serving. Sprinkle with reserved chorizo and enjoy immediately. Keep egg and chorizo mixture refrigerated in airtight container up to 5 days.
NUTRITION (per half avocado): 396 cal, 11 g pro, 9 g carb, 5 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 37 g fat, 13 g sat fat, 397 mg sodium
Creamy Dill Salmon Recipe
Ever wonder why salmon is such a superfood? This fish is absolutely brimming with the most potent form of omega-3 fatty acids on the planet, which have been linked to everything from reduced inflammation to improved mood and memory. Get your fill by making this dish from Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime, which is also loaded with protein to keep you satisfied for hours.
6 wild salmon fillets (6 oz each), skin on, pin bones removed
1 Tbsp melted ghee or extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp ghee or extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, crushed
½ c dry white wine or low-sodium store-bought stock
3 Tbsp full-fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
¼ c chopped fresh dill
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cracked black pepper
1. HEAT oven to 400°F. Line sheet pan with parchment.
2. RUB salmon fillets with ghee, then season on both sides with salt and pepper. Place skin side down on sheet pan and set aside.
3. MAKE sauce: Melt 1 Tbsp of the ghee in saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 minutes.
4. ADD wine and bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, 5 minutes.
5. ROAST salmon until fillets flake slightly in the center, 6 to 7 minutes.
6. ADD coconut milk, mustard, lemon juice, dill, remaining 1 Tbsp ghee, salt, and pepper to sauce and simmer on low until fish is ready.
7. REMOVE skin from salmon and serve hot with sauce spooned over top.
Tip! To save money, purchase a whole side wild salmon fillet and slice it cross wise into individual 6 oz portions yourself. For this recipe, look for a side of salmon that is about 2½ pounds. Any leftover sauce will taste wonderful on other fish or chicken.
NUTRITION (per serving): 333 cal, 35 g pro, 3 g carb, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 19 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 358 mg sodium
We love reader recipes! Share your favorite healthy recipe with us by commenting below or emailing us. Which one of these delicious recipes will you be making first?
Do you or does someone you care about need to lose weight? Bodynista offers a fantastic line of weight loss products from Total Life Changes to get you into the body you deserve and help you take your life back. Check out testimonials from people who have used Total Life Changes products. Shop for your new body by visiting our Total Life Changes Store Page. - Bodynista
Khyrunnessa Rabbani - I am perfectly imperfect! Passionate believer if you love your body and yourself and the rest will fall into place.