Do you face the burden of meeting tight deadlines, making crucial decisions, or managing the complexities of household demands? Our stress, such as my current situation, may also include the stress of being under- or unemployed. All adults have lives that are filled with some form of stress, even if we don't truly acknowledge this fact.
Chronic stress takes its toll in part on our body's ability to resist infection, maintain vital functions, and even ability to avoid injury. When you're stressed out and tired, you are more likely to become ill, your arteries take a beating, and you're more likely to have an accident. Your sleep will suffer, you won't digest your food as well, and even the genetic material in the cells of your body may start to become altered in a bad way. Mentally, not only do you become more irritable, depressed, and anxious, but your memory will become worse and you'll make poorer decisions. You'll also be less fun to be with, causing you to become more isolated, lonely, and depressed.
Clearly stress is not a good thing. Even people who claim to love the high-pressured lifestyle will admit that there are times when they just want to get away from it all, if only for a short time.
In a 2009 Canadian Research study reported that "active" leisure pursuits and taking vacations helped to buffer job stress among a sample of almost 900 lawyers. The benefits of vacations extend to family relationships. . Shared family memories and time spent together isolated from ordinary everyday activities (school, work, and so on) help to promote positive ties. Though family vacations can have their own share of stress, the benefits outweigh the risks.
A successful vacation should break into the stress cycle. We should emerge from a successful vacation feeling ready to take on the world again and with perspective on our problems. On a successful vacation we get to relax with our families and friends, and get a break from our usual routines. That's if the vacation is "successful."
Tips for a Successful Vacation
1. Plan Ahead. For example, if you are a family that does a lot of sight seeing and attractions, know where you want to go, when you want to go, how you will get there, and what it will cost.
2. Know the Rules and Regulations. Wherever you are going and however you choose to get there, make sure you are familiar with the do's and don'ts. This includes baggage on the plane, passports on the cruise, cell phone usage while driving and more.
3. Don't Feel Guilty Because Your on Vacation. You can afford a vacation but your neighbor, co-worker, or best friend can't. The point of a vacation is to rid yourself from as much guilt as possible. If you are so distressed about taking a trip, maybe there's something else holding you back. There is nothing wrong with bringing back meaningful tokens to people close to you who would love to go but can't.
4. Don' t Feel Bad if You Check Email on Vacation. Nobody looks forward to coming back to hundreds of emails after vacation. Sometimes, the thought of that alone prevents people for taking vacation time off from work. There is nothing wrong with setting aside a small part of time daily to catch up on emails, BUT DO NOT DO IT ALL DAY LONG. This is vacation, not work.
5. Make Your Vacation a True Adventure. What you and I consider to be Adventure will be different and that is totally OK, as long as you take time to dig into some adventure. For me, adventure is walking the beach shoreline with my daughter finding seashells.
If you are under or unemployed and not able to take a vacation, consider a stay-cation. This can be whatever you want it to be. Whether is a whole week, a weekend or the entire Summer, your children will enjoy the quality time they are spending with you!
Summer long Stay-cation ideas:
- Bike trails
- FREE summer movies at the theaters
- FREE evening movies in the park
- Different city splash parks
- Recreation Center swimming pool
- Extended visits to family
Simple and FREE is my idea of adventure. As a single mom, it becomes creative scheduling to find time to do many of these things, but we do. I am learning new things about my child everyday just because we are spending quality time together.
Do yourself, health, family, and employer a favor - TAKE SOME TIME OFF! Everyone will appreciate you being less stressed and more positive.
Will you be doing a vacation or stay-cation or both??
Are you looking to get away in the next 3o days? Did you know that you can take advantage of un-booked inventory at beautiful resorts for a fraction of the cost to the public? Generally, you can expect 7 nights at a resort for around $500! Contact me if you are interested in finding your cheap getaway!
Khyrunnessa Rabbani - I am perfectly imperfect! Passionate believer if you love your body and yourself and the rest will fall into place.